Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Made Up People

When a blog title is sufficiently vague, its like abstract GD and I was for some odd reason a big fan of them. I guess it was because it let me drift off without having to explain myself, at the same time making me seem pseudo intellectual, until I crack the next PJ atleast. This blog - I have a 3 point interpretation. (reminded me of a professor of ours :P )


The first point is cosmetic. I’m fast approaching the realm where I’m expected to compliment people on their appearance and be nice and not notice the excesses. I did say people. The last week I had gone shopping with a couple of friends of mine and this guy ahead of us in the line was taking an entire boutique of cosmetics that would make him unrecognizable! No, I’m not the why-make-up guy, but I’m saying exercise caution. Everybody wants to be presentable but not to the extent where others sense you are not who you appear to be, No? Also dawned on me that when the fairer sex asks you ‘Is this alright?, it is a disguised ‘How do I look?’ and so don’t point out. (Mental note to get facewash and cold cream before I go to Delhi this time)

The second point is imaginary. As a fan of good fiction, I’m slowly realizing we are more and more aware of the ‘what’ than the who and why. As I read on a forum we ask ‘What happened next?’ which might not be the point of the narrative at all. Sample this – we all know the crow and fox story, but what if we hear the crow’s version of what made him steal and how it felt to feel so stupid? What of the fox’s version who decided to outwit a thief by palying to his pride? It takes away the fun I know, but somewhere we project our own prejudices and value judgments on the characters. (Thank you Julian Barnes).

I’ve maintained that authors like Chetan Bhagat (ya, I made a face) explain a character that you might instantly relate to and hence are lazy enough to pick your mind. They move the story by what happens to them and by reference to you. A good author gives you a character that is an outline, evolves it with time and although you have no idea who he/she is makes you understand why they react in that way – make you see their way. I like gray. So move over Heroes, confused/guilty/conflicted protagonist are more fun (ironically cos you know you are not perfect either).
The third interpretation is resolve. Although tempted to use jargons like mental models, I won’t. Anyone holds on to their views/opinions unless there is a compulsive reason for them to change. Now, some of us more so than others. You might ask ‘SO?’ but then I don’t really have an answer. Just thinking aloud, wondering if it is not our endeavor to connect with similar/win over others/ignore the diffent that has been the thrust to move civilizations– religion, culture, colonies, love, mobs, wars…

That was me drifting off. At the end of the day, reality is much simpler no?. In fact caveman style – Get up, care, work, live, enjoy, love, eat, sleep, get bored, emote..

[Revisit point 2 in this context?]

No comments: